tS for Android™: Performing Translation¶
A basic translation process for any unfoldingWord project is explained here.
As you translate, be sure that you:
- Pray that God would help you make an easily-understandable, Scripturally-accurate translation
- Translate everything that is in the source text language.
- Do not add anything that that is not necessary for comprehension.
- Always do your translation according to the Translation Guidelines (see https://unfoldingword.org/guidelines/).
- Always do your translation according to the Statement of Faith (see https://unfoldingword.org/faith/).
- Use the translationNotes (see https://unfoldingword.org/tn/) and the translationWords (see https://unfoldingword.org/tw/) to help you make a better translation. These resources are also available within translationStudio, in the Check view of the project.
Create and Edit Text¶
To write the translation in your language:
- Go to the story or book that is being translated.
- The screen is arranged to appear like two sheets of paper, one behind the other, with the Chapter or Story view initially on top. In this view, read the source text.
- The app is organized to work with blind drafting.
- You may want to read MAST Core Concepts to understand the steps of blind drafting translation.
- When you are ready to begin translating, tap the “piece of paper” that is behind the one you have been reading.
- Tap the Begin Translating icon.
- The Chunk view appears and displays the text divided into chunks, which are sections that you should be able to retell without looking. Read a chunk over until you can remember what it says.
- Tap the blank paper behind the one containing the text.
- Tap anywhere on the blank sheet of paper to open a keyboard to begin working.
- Type in the translation for that chunk on the page. This should not be a word-for-word translation, but it should be expressed in a way that would sound natural to a native speaker of the language.
- Start translating with a blind draft. Set aside the source text and draft the chunk as well as you can without looking back at the text.
- Write everything that you remember about that chunk.
- Do not look back at the source text for this chunk until you begin the editing steps.
- When you are finished working, swipe up to work on the next chunk.
10. Continue doing this with each chunk of the chapter before moving to the checking steps. Check and Edit Translated Text
When you use translationStudio, you can create and change text. Your work is saved automatically every five minutes.
Check and Edit Translated Text¶
Use the Check view to edit existing work that you or another translator created.
To enter the Check view, tap the Check View icon at the left or bottom of the page.
In the Check view the source text is on the left and the translation work is on the right. You can compare the two and then edit the translation to include all details in the source text.
In the Check view you can access all of the translationNotes, translationWords and translationQuestions that have been included in the program.
If you need to make changes in the translated text, perform the following steps:
- Tap the pencil icon at the top right of the translated chunk.
- The keyboard appears. Edit the text to include all details and correct any grammatical or spelling errors.
- Tap the check mark icon when done editing. The keyboard disappears.
- Place the verse markers (skip this step if you are translating Open Bible Stories, which are not divided into verses).
- There is a verse marker for each verse in the chunk.
- Tap and hold each verse marker and drag it to the beginning of each verse, dropping it above and slightly to the left of the location where it should go.
- Continue until all verses are marked with a verse number.
- When you are finished working, use the toggle at the bottom of the chunk to mark the translation of that chunk done.
- Slide the toggle to the right, or just tap it, to indicate that the chunk is finished.
- A message appears for you to confirm that the chunk is done. Tap Confirm to indicate that the work is done, or tap Cancel to continue editing.
At any time you can slide the toggle back to the left, or just tap it, to edit the chunk again. Use the above steps to edit.